The brief history of our school
Lovassy László Grammar School is the oldest secondary school in Veszprém. The Piarist Secondary School, which was the legal predecessor, was founded by Count János Ottó Volkra, the Bishop of Veszprém, in 1711.
Many of the Piarist teachers were acknowledged nationwide for their scientific work, others were the leading figures of the educational, scientific and cultural life in Veszprém. Among them was the museum-founder Dezső Laczkó, or Mihály Bolgár, the designer of the first water pipeline system in Veszprém. The most talented students of the grammar school added a lot not only to the Hungarian but also to the universal cultural heritage, thus making the school well-known and reputable. The most outstanding ones are the Cholnoky brothers, the poet, János Batsányi, the painter, Mihály Zichy, the geologist, Sándor Endrődi, and the sculptor, Imre Csikász.
After the well-known and widely respected Piarist school was nationalized in 1948, it functioned under the name Veszprém State Grammar school, and then it was named after László Lovassy in 1952.
We consider it very important to represent the modern era and constant development but to preserve the Piarist traditions at the same time. We celebrated the 300th anniversary of the predecessor grammar school together with the Alumni Association of Lovassy and the former Piarist School. With our varied programmes we wished to emphasize that besides preserving our traditions, we are an institution which intends to provide a complex, up-to-date 21st century education for its students.
Our school has become famous nationwide for educating its students so that they have a very good chance to get into the most popular universities. They also achieve very good results in the national academic competitions organized for secondary school students in different school subjects. Apart from the high level academic education, we put an emphasis on our students artistic skills as well as sports activities. We have always taken part in the Helikon Festivals, the most acknowledged competition in arts for the secondary schools in the Transdanubian Region. The festival was re-organized and renewed in the 1990s, and since then we have managed to get the Helikon Cup for the Most Successful School three times.
We offer several specialized courses in our school. There have been classes specializing in Mathematics since 1967, in English since 1984, in Information Technology since 1990, and in German Minority Studies since 1993. We have been taking part in Arany János Supporting Programme for Talented Students as one of the founders of the programme since the academic year of 2000/2001.
We started a language preparatory course in September 2004 in the class specialized in Mathematics, and then in the following academic years we introduced the system in our other classes as well. Thus all our courses are five years long now.
Our students can choose two foreign languages to learn during their school years. These languages are English, German, French, Spanish and Russian.
We offer extra lessons to our students in the following subjects: Mathematics, History, foreign languages, Biology, Chemistry, Information Technology, Hungarian Grammar and Literature, Geography, Physics, Music, Arts and Drama. Many of these study circles prepare the talented students for different academic competitions.
We pay extra attention to the teaching of foreign languages. There is an exam centre for ÖSD and DSD language exams in our school.
Our outstanding educational activity was honoured by Pro Urbe Prize by the city of Veszprém in 1998.
In 2008 the school received the title of Talent Supporting Secondary School, the Excellent Matura Examination Exam Venue, and became the partner institution of Semmelweis University. We signed a contract of cooperation with the Faculty of Information Technology of Pannon University in 2009, and with the Faculty of Engineering in 2011. We founded the Lovassy Giftedness Point in cooperation with the Veszprém Student Hostel for Secondary Schools in 2012, which was accredited as an Excellent Giftedness Point by the National Talent Support Council.
Our educational objectives
Our principle is to function as a grammar school which gives complex high-quality education to its students and helps them to develop a well-balanced personality. We believe that the structure of the school and the subjects we offer to study here, give the opportunities to our students to improve their skills and to achieve their goals.
- Thorough academic knowledge: Our basic courses give the students the foundation for a general knowledge in every field of interest. The advanced courses give a higher level of education for those who would like to get a thorough academic knowledge necessary for getting into university and successfully finishing their university studies.
- High-level language proficiency: we would like to enable our students to use the languages and to leave our institution with knowledge of languages which can help them to achieve their aims in their future career and life. The high number of language lessons in the first school year makes it possible to take two language exams (a B2 and even a C1 level exam).This makes it easier to be admitted into universities and ensures fulfilling the requirements from languages to get a university degree. Combined with professional expertise it gives better prospects to our students in the world of employment.
- Up-to-date knowledge of IT: All our students can get prepared for their final exams in information technology during their secondary school education. Those who achieve the best grades at the exam will get an ECDL certificate as well. This qualification can be essential when it comes to being employed in Hungary or abroad.
- Developing art skills: One of the most important factors in developing the personality and the way of thinking is to use the different parts of the brain to the relatively same extent, so we consider it important to pay attention and give enough time to the development of art skills. Our school offers several opportunities to practise these skills during lessons and in the form of after-school activities.
- Developing those skills and establishing those working methods which are essential in our daily routine: We would like our students to learn skills, qualities and methods which will be very useful for them during their studies in higher education and which they can use to their advantage in the world of employment.
The School Today – Motto
„The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.”
Sydney J. Harris
Our school is offering the following courses
The aim of the course is to provide the students with mathematical knowledge, in a way that suits their age. Our aim is manifold: we wish to improve the students ability of abstract and symbolic communication, to enable them to apply the findings of science in a creative way and to use this symbolic language at a high level in their further studies.
The aim of the course is that the students should study German language and literature at a high level, get to know and pass on the traditions of the German minority in Hungary. The dual identity of the German minority students may improve tolerance and understanding. The education is bilingual. The students get a chance to acquire a C1 level language exam along with their Matura examination and to take a DSD exam. The exchange programmes offer insight into the economic and political system, as well as the social, political and everyday life of German-speaking countries.
The course is aimed at students who are interested in IT, and who are preparing for professions where the use of IT is essential. The students can develop proficiency in the use of up-to-date IT-applications and they learn to use these devices to enhance their creativity. The acquisition of the basics of computer programming provides an opportunity for them to improve their problem-solving techniques.
The aim of the course is to improve language proficiency based on the knowledge gained at primary school and to prepare the students for the advanced-level Matura examination and C1 level language examination. We offer insight into the history and culture of English-speaking countries. The students can also acquire a higher level of language skills in their second foreign language, which is helped by the optimum distribution of their language lessons and the homogeneous groups set by placement and assessment tests.
Arany János Supporting Programme for Talented Students
The1+4 year boarding school course is for talented but socially disadvantaged students. The teachers of our school and of the Veszprém Student Hostel for Secondary Schools – along with the programme advisors – do their best to help the students to overcome their disadvantages. The priorities of the course are foreign languages, IT, the development of mathematical skills, the improvement of communicative skills and learning methods. During the five years we support the acquisition of at least one B2 level language exam, the ECDL exam and a driving license.